Stockings were an important part of a wardrobe in the 19th century. They were made either silk or cotton. There was often an embroidery along them, too. Male stockings were mainly white.
I made stockings for Jane and Edward from a thin white knit t-shirt. I decided not to do any embroidery as I don’t believe Jane was rich enough to afford silk stockings with embroidery! Here is one of the examples of silk stockings from the V&A Museum (dated 1800-1829).
I simplified the stockings to avoid bulk. If I manage to find nice thin knit fabric (silk will probably have to be substituted with spandex) I will make new stockings using an original pattern. But for the moment that’s what I’ve made.
I wrapped both dolls’ legs with a masking tape to work out the pattern.
I cut it out of my cotton knit fabric without the seam allowance and even then I had to cut off about 1 cm (3/8 inch) more to make sure the stockings fitted well.
The top of the stockings was stitched first. Then I stitched them along the seam.
The tip of the stockings was sewed like this:
And here is the result.
And a small bonus…