First, I must admit that I have got yet another obsession and this time the obsession is called Poldark. I didn’t have a chance to watch this TV series when it was shown on the British TV in the spring as we were in a process of an international relocation at that time. However, a couple of months ago I bought the series on DVD, watched all 8 episodes within 3 days and have been endlessly re-watching it ever since. I just love this TV series, the cast is simply amazing and what I also love is, of course, costumes! If costumes in a film are bad I most likely than not would stop watching that film. Simple as that. For example, I couldn’t bear The Tudors and gave up after just 5 episodes mainly because their costumes were such rubbish (Elizabethan with a very modern twist rather than Tudor). So, for me, costumes are very very important and Poldark is perfect from this point, too.
Season 1 of Poldark is based on the first two books by Winston Graham and is set in 1780s.
And there are so many beautiful dresses there!! I have decided to make some dresses of quite a number of the characters. First of all, it’s the dresses of the three Poldark ladies – Demelza, Elizabeth and Verity. And I also have plans for Ross Poldark himself. This time, however, I am starting with playdolls and not BJDs (though I might temporarily change my Mr Rochester into Ross at some point since the face is so similar, but not yet). All three ladies will be played by A Girl for All Time dolls. I don’t aim to have a strong facial resemblance, just the basic feel should be sufficient.
Today I will show Elizabeth or, rather, my first taster of her because I am still planning to curl her hair, etc. To start with, I have made the pink dress that I love so much!
Here is the real Elizabeth wearing it.
I made the dress for my Elizabeth (A Girl for all Time Matilda) from dusty pink crepe satin. I must admit I am not entirely happy with either the fabric (it should be silk) or the colour (it’s too pink in my opinion). Also, this fabric is rather unruly and is hard to iron flat. However, I have managed to find some silk dupioni in a better matching colour so I will most likely repeat the dress. I modified the pattern for this dress from the Thimbles and Acorns Marie-Antoinette pattern. I completely re-worked the front, added the ruffled trims, shortened and reversed the sleeves, and made the main skirt wider and longer. The underskirt is made from the pattern without any modifications. The dress closes at the front with 4 hooks.
Here Elizabeth is wearing a riding habit on top of a dress which looks like the pink dress above. Since I haven’t made the riding coat (yet!), I still thought I would play a bit so I took a couple of pictures of my Elizabeth sitting in a garden with a book.