And the final part of making Rochester’s shirt! The only thing which I didn’t do is making button holes and sewing on buttons, but that will have to wait until I find some buttons of the right size!
First, I needed to determine the whole length of the shirt. So, I put it on the doll and pinned where I thought it should finish. Men in those times usually wore shirts down to their mid thighs or even knees. I had to make it as short as the fashion of the 19th century would allow me – otherwise it wouldn’t fit in the trousers. I also marked a place where a slit would start.
I sewed the sides of the shirt together until my pin marker. Then I sewed in a gusset in a usual way.
Then I trimmed all the excess of the fabric. For the side seam I cut one seam allowance half the width of the other – to be able to tuck it in more easily.
Then I closed all of the side seams.
And as the last step finished the bottom hem.
And here is the ready shirt!!
And the shirt on the doll. Now I will have lots of fun trying to tuck this shirt into tight trousers!!
As usual, a more detailed process is shown in the gallery below: